Ryan has a diverse legal practice and specializes in water law, real estate and real property, business and contract law, and litigation and appeals. His water work involves assisting individuals, businesses and governmental entities throughout Colorado to acquire, maintain, develop, and protect rights to use water. Ryan has represented clients in over a hundred water court cases and has prosecuted all types of water rights applications, including changes to water rights and plans for augmentation. Ryan’s real estate and real property practice include working on all aspects of real estate transactions, including conducting water rights due diligence and review. Ryan also assists businesses with formation and operations matters, and represents both buyers and sellers in business sales. Ryan’s litigation style combines a results-oriented approach, creative legal strategies, and fervent advocacy to obtain successful results at reasonable costs. Ryan has successfully litigated diverse issues on behalf of individuals, businesses, and government entities before administrative boards and state and federal courts throughout Colorado and Washington State.
Originally from Seattle, Ryan began his legal career in the Roaring Fork Valley. Ryan returned to Seattle for a stint as an Assistant Attorney General at the Washington State Office of the Attorney General where he represented a state agency that managed 5.6 million acres of forest, range, agricultural, aquatic, and commercial land. After living in the Big City, Ryan and his wife decided to return to the Roaring Fork Valley so they could enjoy the mountain lifestyle and raise their family.
When not working, Ryan can usually be found spending time with his family or doing something outside, preferably skiing or fly-fishing.
- Water Law
- Real Estate, Real Property, and Land Use
- Business and Contract Law
- Transactions and Negotiations
- Litigation and Appeals
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Washington
Awards and Distinctions
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2021
- Collegial Lawyer Award, Ninth Judicial District Bar Association, 2020
- Seattle University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- CALI Award (highest academic performance in class): Environmental Litigation, Business Entities, Legal Writing II
- Ohio Wesleyan University, B.A., Political Science & Spanish, cum laude
- Presenter, Water Law/Court 101, Colorado Courts Legal Resource Week (October 29, 2020).
- Author, Book Review, Global Climate Change and U.S. Law, Second Edition, 44 COLO. LAW. 56 (2015).
- Co-Editor, Washington State Bar Association Environmental Law and Land Use Section Newsletter, 2013-2014.
- Author, Prior Appropriation and Water Quality: The Water Court’s Authority to Protect and Appropriator’s Right to Clean Water, 16 U. DENV. WATER L. REV. 295 (2013).
- Author, Book Review, Environmental Law Handbook, 41 COLO. LAW. 75 (2012).
- Author, Sinking Nations and Climate Change Adaptations Strategies, 9 SEATTLE J. FOR SOC. JUST. 447 (2010).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colorado Bar Association
- Ninth Judicial District Bar Association
- President, 2019
- Vice-President, 2018
- Treasurer, 2017
- Pitkin County Bar Association
- Roaring Fork Leadership, Class of 2014-2015
- Beattie, Houpt & Jarvis, LLP, Partner, 2018-Present
- Beattie, Chadwick & Houpt, LLP, Associate, 2014-2018
- Washington State Office of the Attorney General, Natural Resources Division, Assistant Attorney General, 2013-2014
- Beattie, Chadwick & Houpt, LLP, Associate, 2011-2012
- Environmental Protection Agency, Region 10 Office of Regional Counsel, Legal Intern, 2010